NON-PRIOR SERVICE ENLISTMENT CRITERIA (IF YOU’VE NEVER BEEN IN THE MILITARY)
You are eligible to join the Louisiana National Guard if you meet the following criteria*:
- You meet the physical, academic, and legal qualifications.
- You must be in good health and have no major physical handicaps.
- The minimum age to join the National Guard is 17. Persons under age 18 must obtain the consent of a parent or legal guardian.
- You must currently be in high school OR have a high school diploma OR have a GED*.
- You must obtain a minimum qualifying score on the Armed Forces Vocational Aptitude Battery exam (ASVAB). Soon after you contact a recruiter, he or she will administer this test to see if you are qualified. Your ASVAB score will also determine which job or career filed, known as a Military Occupational Specialty (MOS), you are qualified for. Your recruiter will provide you with more exact information and make recommendations regarding your qualification status.
- High school juniors/seniors as long as they meet the age requirement
- You are between the ages of 17 and 36
- Meet citizenship requirements (see details below)
- Persons who were born in the 50 United States including the commonwealths, Guam, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands and the District of Columbia, are eligible for enlistment.
- Persons born abroad on a military installation, or born abroad of U.S. parents who were citizens at the time are also eligible for enlistment.
- Persons considered to be aliens who have been lawfully and permanently admitted to the United States and requested permanent residence may enlist BUT not for any Military Occupational Specialty requiring a security clearance. These applicants will incur a Military Service Obligation (MSO), and they should apply for citizenship within four years after enlistment. Those who do not apply for citizenship by the end of their MSO will not be eligible for extension or reenlistment and will be discharged upon completion of their MSO.
- Aliens who have been admitted on a temporary basis are not eligible for enlistment.
- Nationals of the United States, such as the American Samoa, are eligible for enlistment.
- Not all the enlistment criteria are shown here; contact your recruiter for exact details.
PRIOR SERVICE ENLISTMENT CRITERIA
You are eligible to join the Louisiana National Guard if you meet the following criteria:
- Meet citizenship requirements
- Are at least 17 and less than 42 years of age, or individuals that are 42 years of age and older must have sufficient prior service time to attain 20 years of qualifying service for retired pay prior to age 60
- Non-high school graduates must obtain a high school diploma or GED certificate within one year after the date of enlistment.
- Must meet the military physical fitness standards Must qualify for the desired job / career field enlisting in
- Applicants, who may be otherwise eligible for enlistment options, monetary incentives, educational benefits, or any combination of these, must enlist for the periods stated by the program from which they desire to benefit.
* Not all of the enlistment criteria are shown here; call your career counselor for exact details.